[WriteLog] "Server Busy" Message ...

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:40:19 -0600

I didn't see any posts to the reflector about this one, so I'll just
tell what I've experienced.

The only time I've ever seen this "Server Busy" message is when
there was a long pause within WriteLog for more than a couple of
seconds.  This could happen if you were, to say, save a large log
file (over more than say 1200 Q's or so) on a machine with a slow
processor and little memory.

I don't know why it happens, but it can cause some havoc.  In most
cases, you can get away with clicking those "server busy" dialog
boxes shut (I forget whether you can hit OK or just close them) and
everything will start running again.  However, I've seen it where it
has caused Rttyrite 9 error messages and you have to shut down
the Rttyrite window and reopen it.  In rare cases, I've had to reboot
the computer to get Rttyrite to recognize the sound card again (only
if you are running the Rttyrite window).

I used to get this message on my Dell 120 mhz Pentium I machine running only
16M RAM & Win95.  But only on logs greater than about 1200 QSO's.  It would
not occur when saving the log, it would occur if you did something like
"Recalculate Score".  Only once or twice in all my years of running
WriteLog have I seen it on my 200 mhz (Pentium I) machine running Win98se &
96M RAM.

I added more memory to my 120 mhz machine up to 80M RAM now
but have since replaced that machine with a Compaq Deskpro 333 mhz
Pentium II machine running Win98se and 128M RAM.  In BARTG with just over
1200 Q's, I never had a "server busy" fault.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you don't have any other
programs running in the background that is taking up your processor
resources and memory.  This is especially helpful when you start running
all kinds of WriteLog features like dual Rttyrite windows, packet window,
packet spots window, Super Check Partial, etc.  I use all these features and
they do start taking up resources, so it's best to have the most available
for WriteLog when running WriteLog.

During contests, I run a minimum of other programs.  I've even started using
my "retired" Dell 120 mhz machine as a 3rd computer on the network running
DXTelnet alone so it's not running on any of the other two computers running
WriteLog.  This computer feeds the spots to the other computers and frees up
the resources and memory for WriteLog alone.

I quickly searched the help files and couldn't find an explanation of the
"server busy" message.

Hope this helps.

73, Don AA5AU