[WriteLog] Erratic CW

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl@digikey.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 11:46:56 -0500

Garry

You have two realistic options:

2) Get the W5XD Keyer (expensive but its a total solution)

To say that Windows is not multitasking is all in the terminology.  Actually
no single processor machine can execute more than one task at a time (where
we understand a task to be a program).  Instead it just switches between
tasks so quickly that it appears to be running several concurrently.  At any
time only one task is actually executing.  The switching time (its called
context switching) is dependent upon the hardware and the OS.  Windows was
not designed, nor was the hardware to be a 'real time OS' where context
switching must be extremely fast and response time guaranteed.

It's kind of humorous that CW generation is an example of an application
which needs real time response.  PC's with fast processors are 'fast' in
terms of total throughput, yet they are dogs compared to 20 year old
minicomputers designed for real time (such as process control system) use.

With enough tinkering with your system, by canceling the myriad of running
tasks, you might be able to get a satisfactory result, but the code will
never be perfect...and the faster you do CW the less satisfied you will be
with direct CW generation.

The W5XD works, I wouldn't go back to the old way...it's all about making
choices.

Ron N5IN