FW: [WriteLog] Request for improvements

Gil Baron gbaron@charter.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:47:02 -0500

I left out one more request. I would like to be bale to run PSK31 and RTTY
in USB. I see no reason why that should not be possible. All other programs
I have permit either sideband. This is a big pain in the rear to me to have
to switch everything for this one program. I do not at all like the reversed
tuning of LSB.
I would put this one at about number 3.5.

-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:writelog-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Gil Baron
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 10:11 AM
To: AA/WriteLog
Subject: [WriteLog] Request for improvements

I am a former TRLOG user and once I switched to WriteLog have not used it
since. I do have some request that I think would be great improvements and
should not be hard to implement.

Most important in order of importance.

1. The bandwidth of the tuning is display is FAR to narrow. It is far to
difficult to see enough signals to make search and pounce a comfortable
experience. AT LEAST 3 Khz should be displayed. Let me choose to narrow it
with my DSP if I wish to.

2. The spectrum display is in my opinion a VASTLY INFERIOR display to a
waterfall display. It is MUCH more difficult to tune this. PLEASE create a
choice to use a waterfall display.

3. The TNC window that show RTTY for RTTY or PSK should not be forced to
always on top. I really think no window ever should be an always on top
without any choice for the user. It means every time I bring up a
configuration window I have to move it around because it is hidden by the
TNC window. As part of this perhaps the last position of these configuration
windows like Setup for instance could be remembered.

4.There should be a line in the contest file that points to the ini file so
that the ini file would not be forced to be in the system files area which
is not a good idea or practice for windows programs. That would also allow
you to have separate files and not have to keep them in a separate directory
and move them in every time you wish to set up for a contest. Another way to
do it would be to include the ini information in the contest file although
that would be a duplication of effort, perhaps a pointer from this file to
common information ini files would be nice. The main thing is to let the
user specify in some way where the ini file is so he can have nay of any
name he wishes and he can keep them out of the system area,

Long Term and not as important since many contests are supported already but
a really WIBNI is a GUI in the program to allow the user to define a contest
without being a  C++ programmer. I realize this one would be a big
implantation effort and do not expect it to happen but thought I would
mention it here.

OPINIONS?, AGREE? DISAGREE, and WHY?