[WriteLog] Another CW keying issue

Joe Stepansky kq3f@comcast.net
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:44:45 -0400

As relatively straightforward as WL has been to set up, I've been having
little luck with some of the hardware interfaces.  This is a different CW
issue, one that's causing me to test my sanity.  The archives show a
similar question asked a few months ago, but no reply.  I'm using Win2K,
which may itself be the problem, dunno.

Here's the problem.  I built a very simple interface to go from 9-pin COM1
to the CW key jack on the back of my IC-765 (the poster several months ago
also had an Icom rig).  I basically took the interface for a 25 pin serial
interface found in the CT manual and modified it for 9-pin (DTR on in 4
instead of 20, and GND on pin 5 instead of 7).  This worked fine before,
but now when I plug the key jack in the 765 transmits continuously.  I've
had that happen with the old interface, turned out a couple of the wires
were shorting.  But that's not happening here, since I took a multimeter to
it and everything appears to be fine.

This is the circuit description, anybody see anything wrong?

1.  Using a 9-pin connector, I took a line from pin 4 (DTR), through a 1K
resistor into the base of a 2N2222 transistor.
2.  Took a line from pin 5 (GND) to the 2N2222 emitter and on to the ground
of the key jack.
3.  A line from the 2N2222 collector to the positive terminal of the CW key
jack.

Again, this has worked for me in the past with a 25 pin port;  I'm
wondering if there's something basic I'm missing, or something going on
with Win2K and the Icom.

73, Joe KQ3F