[WriteLog] NAQP - New Foundland

Don Roland dmroland@ca.inter.net
Mon Jan 20 10:38:57 EST 2003

> Newfoundland & Labrador were separate from Canada,
> hence the use of the VO radio prefix.  They joined
> the confederation as the Province of Newfoundland
> and Labrador on 31 March 1949.

Are you thinking of Nunavut, which was created
back in 1 Apr 1999?

No

This is nearly right!  They joined on March 31st so that
Premier Smallwood would not be stuck with the
notion that his province joined Confederation with
Canada on April Fools Day. (or so myth has it).
As to the provinces name change (and date of) see the
following two excerpts from Government Press Releases

April 29, 1999
(Executive Council)

The following statement was issued today by Premier Brian Tobin.
It was also read in the House of Assembly:

I will rise after question period today to put forth a motion to change
the province's official name from the Province of Newfoundland to the
Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

October 26, 2001
(Executive Council)

Federal government moves forward with province's
request  for provincial name change

Premier Roger Grimes, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister
Tom Lush and Labrador and Aboriginal Affairs Minister
Ernie McLean are pleased the Government of Canada has
introduced a resolution in the House of Commons today to
change the province's official name from the Province of
Newfoundland to the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The resolution was brought forward by Brian Tobin, MP for
Bonavista-Trinity Conception and Minister of Industry Canada,
at the request of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Don -VE1AOE-