[WriteLog] Converting a disk to NTFS

Bob McCormick W1QA writelog at W1QA.COM
Wed Jan 22 11:23:25 EST 2003

Regarding Steve KB3MM's comments:

Indeed the actual I/O of the application program
(like WriteLog) is NOT protected by the NTFS journal ...
only the disk's file system is (as you pointed out).

Still ... I think you'll find that if you crash or
power fail an NTFS based system (versus a FAT based one),
you're a lot less likely to find your data files are
corrupted by inaccurate update of the file's sectors
(clusters).

If a disk sector becomes bad (ugh!) ... and your data
is on it - doesn't really matter what file system you
are running.  (A RAID based logging computer?! <grin>)

Still ... the NTFS file system maintains more redundant
information in its structures.  Disk errors in critical
places in the FAT system are usually fatal where NTFS can
often recover.

Maybe someday ... an SQL server based version of WriteLog?
For those important multi-op's and DXpeditions!

Bob W1QA