[WriteLog] Converting a disk to NTFS

W0UN--John Brosnahan shr at medinaec.com
Wed Jan 22 11:08:21 EST 2003

>If a disk sector becomes bad (ugh!) ... and your data
>is on it - doesn't really matter what file system you
>are running.  (A RAID based logging computer?! <grin>)

Thought about raid!  But what I am doing and didn't mention
is building two identical systems that will be networked together
with the second system logging in parallel.   Sort of a
hot standby!  Guess I could add a KVM switch and if the
main computer fails just dump the keyboard, video, mouse
over to the backup system!

This is the same logic that got me into trouble a decade ago
(but at least this is cheaper).  I had a 781 and an Alpha 87A
and we won a couple of plaques so I got worried that if we
were on track to win and something died I would be out of
the race.  So I added a second 781 and 87A for backup.  Then
we started doing some preliminary 2-radio stuff and I realized
that if one of the setups died we would be back to the old
days of a single radio.  So I added a THIRD 781 and 87A
as backup to the first two!

With W0UA doing most of the operating we won about a
dozen plaques in the ARRL and CQ DX tests.   Not too shabby
considering we only entered about 25 contests during the 1990s.
So we had almost a 50% win rate.  Of course I was doing
mostly single band stuff during that period and choosing the
band that was forecast to be the hottest for that part of the
sunspot cycle.  Still, from Colorado, it was not too shabby.
Multiple plaques on 10, 15, 20 and 40.  Figured we didn't have
a chance for anything on 160 or 80--but the higher bands were
winnable from CO under the right circumstances and with
big enough stacked antennas.

WriteLog is just the next step (after our move to south TX) to
upgrade the station.

73--John  W0UN