[WriteLog] Writelog file concerns

Julian Cleak julian at cleak.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 10:52:58 EST 2003

Hi Bill

In my limited experience of Computers the two most unreliable components in
the base unit are the PSU and the HDD, different makes have different common
faults.
Fuji for example have a nasty habit of not being recognised by the system
bios where as Seagate go into clunking mode, Maxtor drives seen to just spin
up and stay running with no access to them. These are just some of the
problems we get here in the uk. We have tried lots of different manufactures
from lots of different suppliers but seems to make no difference. 1 yr seems
to be the critical time of operation hear. I did a report to our buyers
when tenders were due for renewal and our records showed that 78% of HDD
failures happened within 2 months of being 1 yr old.
I think that the only answer to the HDD problem is to make regular backups
and, or fit a second HDD and keep duplicate files. I always tell our clients
that we can replace the programme files but the data files can cost up to
£1000 to retrieve, a CD-RW is about £30.

             Best of Luck

                     Julian