[WriteLog] Writelog file concerns

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 27 10:18:31 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:07:25 -0000, <kk9a at arrl.net> wrote:

>What happens if my hard drive fails?

This isn't quite the answer to your question, but I believe the best
solution is not to have a hard drive failure in the first place.

HD's are so inexpensive anymore, I think the best medicine is to replace
them every couple of years or so before they get to the point of
failure.  Modern HD's are amazingly reliable - when they are new.  I
have had a couple of HD crashes in my ten years of computing, and they
were both on drives that had several years of use on them.  HD's seem to
be good for around 3-5 years of ordinary use, so change them every two
years or so and you should be ok.

Incidentally, there are removable HD fixtures now that allow you to swap
a HD in about ten seconds.  I just bought several of them on eBay for
$6.99 each.  Put all your contesting software on a new HD and only use
it for contests.  Something to think about.

73, Bill W7TI