[WriteLog] MMTTY vs RITTY

Bryan Preas preas at parc.com
Thu Jan 30 18:13:55 EST 2003

I run MMTTY 1.63 and a DXP38 in the dual receive mode in Writelog, and I run
RITTY 4.53 on a second PC in every contest.

For me it isn't one or the other.  I need and use all three, in every contest.

With three decoders, I don't use auto tuning on any of them.  It is too
confusing.

Most of the time I pay attention to MMTTY and to the DXP38.  They are
integrated into Writelog so I don't have to look far to see the print, and
print very
well.  They have fairly wide M/S filters so they print well with imprecise,
fast tuning.

On the other hand, RITTY is harder to use.  But its the decoder that I pay
attention
to when the signal is marginal.  It will still print when the other two
quit.  The polar
flutter mode works well.  Tuning must be more precise.
I have to look farther (on a separate terminal), and I have to copy the
call sign and
report into the exchange window.

Everyone has to make her/his own decision, but I think RITTY gives me an
edge.  I'm
not very loud, but I work more stations because I can dig their signal out
of the noise.
(BTW, thanks to all you guys that dig my signal out of the noise. Quite
often,  people
can barely print me, but I print them well.)

Bryan
AC6JT