[WriteLog] Networking an XP Machine away from it's domain with a 98 Machine

Bob McCormick W1QA writelog at W1QA.com
Sat Jul 5 10:16:28 EDT 2003

> I have 1 machine running XP which normally resides on a
> domain. However - it will not be connected to any network
> with access to the domain during the contest. This machine
> connects fine to the W98 machine, but Qs only go one way.
> When I try and connect the 98 machine to the XP machine, I
> get a logon screen with username / domain / password, but
> entering the usual password for the username in the domain I
> get an invalid password error. Same basic username and
> password on each machine.
>
> I know the easy way would be to reconfigure the XP machine to
> Workgroups, but I don't want to do that because of issues
> when re-connecting to the domain.
>
> Any clues?

Well, I've not setup WriteLog on a network this way ...
and don't have any Windows 98 clients around - but do
run XP.  (Note: don't run XP Home, but since you said
you've got a system that participates in a domain,
we'll assume you don't have home!)

You may need to change that domain membership setting ...
Its in the System control panel, under the Computer Name tab.
Either click on the Network ID button to use the wizard,
or click on the Change button to manually change things.

If you choose Change - you can choose whether your computer
is a member of a Domain (expect as you've indicated above),
or a member of a Workgroup.  Just out of convention, I'd
make it a workgroup - and make sure that the workgroup
names are the same on both systems.  (This will help with
using the Windows Explorer.)

It would also help that when logging into the systems,
you used the same username and passwords ... in that
way the credentials can be passed between systems
transparently on your behalf without prompting.

You may also have a problem on the XP side with the
local security policies ... out of the box it may
not be optimal for file permissions ... especially
if you're using NTFS based disks (recommended).

Here's the fastest way I get to the local policies:

Start -> Run: secpol.msc
Expand: Local Policies
Look in: Security Options

There may be a key:
Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts
in a non-domain configuration you may typically see:
  Classic - local users authenticate as themselves
which allows Windows XP to do normal server-like security
for file and directory objects as well as shares.
(If this setting is set, you should see a security
tab in XP on files and directories.)

You may also want to look at:
Interactive logon: Require Domain Controller authentication to unlock
workstation

Note: it is likely that the security on objects
on your system are setup based on your system's
domain membership.  Changing things may result
in files having screwy ownership and/or security
information - and may cause difficulties if you
are switching back and forth between modes.
(You can always try assigning the Everyone group
to the files and directories you're using with
Full Control priv's.)

In lieu of someone else posting better info
I hope this gives you some ideas to look at.

Bob W1QA