[WriteLog] General logging

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 05:00:21 EDT 2004

Jerry Pixton wrote:
> the upside is I am using the same software that I want to use for
>contesting.

And that is a very *big* upside, because the best training software for
WriteLog is... WriteLog!

By using WL every day Monday through Friday, you can train using live
QSOs but without the pressures of being in a contest. You have the time
to stop and try new things, until WL is set up exactly as you like it.
And *all* the time, you're training the operating reflexes you'll need
for contests. Friday's job of setting up for a contest becomes a snap.

Try it - it's guar-an-teed to give you an edge over the "weekend
drivers", or your money back  :-)

However, there are some features of WL and its General DXCC Logger that
get in the way of using them as Monday-through-Friday training software.
These are mostly workarounds that are OK for setting up a single
contest, but don't have enough flexibility for everyday use.

In particular SSB, CW, RTTY and PSK need to be selectable as completely
separate modes. This isn't a problem in contests, but believe me, you'll
notice it before the end of a Monday evening! Each mode needs its own
separate setup and messages, that aren't shared with any other mode (so
that nothing "is really" something else).

Also there should be a clearer separation between setup features that
you always want to keep (your basic WL/hardware setup and
keystroke/operating preferences), and features that will vary depending
on the particular contest (log format, messages, loaded windows and
screen layout).

Actually, these changes would be pretty handy for the weekends too, so
there are really no conflicts... except conflicts for Wayne's time, of
course, so as always it's his call.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK