[WriteLog] SO2R Same Band Lockout?

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Thu Apr 22 07:06:18 EDT 2004

Good Morning All,

This has been a interesting thread and very timely. I just got my IC756 Pro
II back from being repaired (only took a little over a month but I felt
like a kid with no wheels) and guess what the diagnosis was -

RF OVERLOAD

So I for one have to think about this problem since I know I am prone to
make this error almost always in the heat of trying to get to a new dx signal

Writelog and the w5xd keyer gives me the band data unambiguously for the
Icom and my Yaesu also has good band data that switches my bandpass filters
and stub filters anyway so now to keep the operator from killing another
radio. Actually as I look back, I could say that my FT1000mp suffered from
the same problem when it was repaired.

Jerry, W6IHG

At 05:43 AM 4/21/2004 +0000, Peter Barron wrote:

>I'd suggest a "belt and braces" for this one as well as a software inhibit
>if & when available . I suggest some small DC relays driven from the band
>decoder to inhibit i.e. OPEN the rigs  PTT and KEY lines if both rigs are on
>same band. If you're into logic use some NAND Gates and drivers . I use
>MC14011B Quad 2input NAND Gates for the base function
>
>Error Condition is both rigs on same band Error prevention is prevent either
>rig from Transmitting
>
>i.e. Signal From RIG 1 Decoder for 160 NAND with 160 Signal From RIG 2
>Decoder disables BOTH RIGs  KEY and PTT
>      Signal From RIG 1 Decoder for 80 NAND  with 80 Signal From RIG 2
>Decoder disables BOTH RIGs  KEY and PTT
>And so on
>This gives with BOTH band outputs OFF= KEY & PTT enabled
>With either band outputs ON = KEY & PTT enabled
>With BOTH band outputs ON =KEY& PTT disabled i.e path is OPEN
>
>I made one in an old PC serial port A/B/C switch box as 4 , 25 PIN
>Connectors etc were already there.
>This also works when the PC is OFF.
>
>NOTE this does not disconnect either of the two rigs from antennas which is
>a separate issue. You'd need a set of DC relays on the antenna control line
>to inhibit antenna selection of either rig in that event.
>
>As well as looking at what others did/do  Work out a Design yourself as each
>setup has something that's different!!! And that way you can list all the
>conditions YOU want to prevent.  The big problem is if you use VOX on Phone.
>
>On the software side what I think would be really nice is a fall back to
>previous band for both rig and antennas!!!
>And rigs had a TX inhibit input!
>

>Peter Barron
>Ve3pn at igs.net

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC