[WriteLog] Re: CW questions

ad6e at inreach.com ad6e at inreach.com
Wed Aug 11 13:39:01 EDT 2004

I sort of giggle when I hear folks complain about having to type an extra
keystroke here or there. Like, what else are you doing while waiting for
that next character to come in? I suppose it does save a couple of
milliseconds and it may reduce the risk of carpel tunnel problems .. but
my logging method has always been KISS!  Use the minimum number of F keys
and understand the basics well, rather than try to memorize complicated
but rarely used special keys or functions.

I personally prefer NOT to log a QSO automatically. I don't mind hitting
an extra key for that function so that I can scan for errors first. I
don't make that many errors, but I feel much more comfortable and error
recovery is easier if caught before getting logged.

The timing of things happening should be under my control, and that's a
very important thing for me. I'd revert to paper if my logger started
sending an exchange after typing the fourth character of a call!

That said, I support the push for run/s&p modes... especially if I have
the option to turn it off if I think it's hurting more than helping.

73,Al  AD6E