[WriteLog] Install redux

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Thu Aug 19 19:15:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:22:49 -0400 "Natan Huffman" <natan at twcny.rr.com>
writes:

> 2/         Since I have but one physical serial port, I plan on
> using a
> cable to convert a serial to USB connection.  Is this reasonable?

>From what I've read on here, some of the usb to serial
converters can be finicky. You didn't say your new
computer was a notebook, so I guess it's a desktop.

If you have a pci slot open, I think it would be
better to buy a SIIG or Byterunner 4 com port pci board.
These boards allow irq sharing, and irq's are in short
supply on modern computers. You could disable (in bios)
the one serial port on the motherboard, and then
reassign that irq for the new pci board. SIIG and
Byterunner boards are usually available on ebay at
a reasonable cost.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA