[WriteLog] Re: interface Orion with Writelog

WB3LGC at aol.com WB3LGC at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 14:20:46 EDT 2004

that is why MicroHAM adds this information for the Orion:

If you plan to use the interface with N4PY software, the TenTec GUI, or firmware updates to the radio then order the USB <--> RS232 model with full handshaking lines (RTS, CTS, etc.).  Note that this does not provide the PTT or CW keying capabilities needed for some contest software.

If you plan to use contest software that provides a CW keying
output, but you do not need to use the TenTec GUI or do firmware updates, then order the DB9-T interface, which provides cables for PTT and CW keying output as well as footswitch PTT input.  Note that it cannot be used for the TenTec GUI or firmware updates, which require that RTS/CTS be wired to the DB-9 connector.

Information (use of RTS/CTS)is also in the software programmers manual for the Orion.  See rfsquared.com
73, Steve