[WriteLog] correct scoring

Richard Ferch ve3iay at rac.ca
Sat Aug 21 20:31:07 EDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 at 14:29:50 -0000 , K9JY said:

>It's scoring correctly; I noticed the same thing two years ago. They count
>call areas in the US and other places as a 'country.' One of the reasons
>I'm signing, at the suggestion of the rules, K9JY/7...

I don't think that is quite correct. According to the rules, call areas in
the US (and Canada, Australia and Japan) do indeed count as separate
multipliers, but not as separate countries for points-per-QSO purposes.
Note also that the first contact with a station in one of these four
countries counts for two multipliers, one for the country and one for the
call area. So, call areas are not counted as separate countries, they are
just additional multipliers. At least, that is how I read the rules at the
SARTG web site (http://www.sartg.com/contest/wwrules.htm) - they look
pretty clear to me (and to the authors of the contest software I am using).

You are quite correct about the /7 - according to the SARTG rules, stations
in call areas other than those given in their call ID "must" use a '/x'
suffix - this rule is broken more often than it is obeyed, in this and
several other RTTY contests (although in some others it is only a
suggestion, in this one it is a "must").

73,
Rich VE3IAY