[WriteLog] Comm Port Problem update

Alan J.Donziger n3ad at verizon.net
Sat Aug 28 13:44:10 EDT 2004

First - thanks to all who replied to my earlier post. I tried the solutions proposed that I hadn't tried before.  Still no luck.  I came across a PCI card with 2 comm ports and one lpt port at Comp USA.  I installed that and same result.

The two COMM ports show up in device manager as COMM 3 and COMM 6 and show as operating properly.  COMM 1 will power either radio with no problem.   WL is seiing COMM 3 and 6 as when I select them no port not available message.  But they dont seem to communicate with radios.

BTW:  COMM 3 and 6 do work with a serial mouse.

There is one thing I do notice that I think may be the problem.  The new device show up as using IRQ 16.  Two other devices are also on IRQ 16 -USB controller and graphics controller.  I dont know if that is the problem.  However I cant find any way to change the IRQ of new card.  Device manager is not giving me the option of changing it.
Is this an IRQ problem and if so is there a fix?

Thanks
Alan/N3AD