[WriteLog] ADI Callbook Question

Bill Metzger wmetzger at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 22:02:24 EST 2004

Bill,

I received several responses and thought I'd respond to yours and the group.
Good comments from all.  Here is what I believe I've found based on the
leads.  For the ARRL RTTY RU, Writelog records a field titled <QTH:2>.  This
is the State exchanged during the contact.  DXBase expects the ADI format to
have <STATE> for the "state".  So, for this contest, your lead is perfect.
All I need to do is search and replace <QTH:2> with <STATE>.  It seems like
it would be easy for someone to modify the program itself to use STATE
instead of QTH:2.

I checked the recent WPX contest ADI file and while there were quite a few
contacts with US stations (several hundred actually), there is no field
recorded as <QTH:2> or any other field for that matter that records the
State since this is not the exchange required during the contest.  From a
contesting standpoint that makes sense.

So, while your editing suggestion would work fine for the RU it will not
work for a contest where the State is not an exchange.  In MixW or DXBase
2004 (as I'm sure in others), the program looks up in the Callbook
(installed on my hard drive) the name, address and other information for the
contact, including the State.  That data is then made part of the record
itself, even though the info may not be needed for a particular contest.

It looks like Writelog is strictly contesting software, but not intended to
follow DXCC or WAS needs.  Any other info would be great.  Writelog is a
great program in this regard, but seems to be inconvienent for WAS/DXCC.

Thanks for all the help, this is a great reflector and way for us all to
exchange information.  Any other comments are much appreciated.

bill
KF0OH