[WriteLog] Selecting MkV 500/250 filters in AFSK/RRTY modes

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 27 00:40:12 EST 2004

Although many people thought they could select either the 500 or 250 Hz
filters with the Nar1 and Nar2 filter buttons on the MkV they have found
out that they can't.  I have yet to hear from one person who is on a
trip at the moment.  Maybe he knows how to do it.  If the manual is
correct, which it often isn't, it can't be done.

I have found 2 ways of doing it and am working on a third.  Maybe I'll
have #3 working for NAQP.

1.  No one in their right mind would find this acceptable during a
contest but you can quit WL, run MPFilters, select the 500 Hz filter(s),
close MPFilters and restart WL.  To reselect the 250 Hz IIRC you just
hit the Nar2 button.  This assumes that you have set the menu (5-4?)
such that Nar2 selects the 250.  If Nar2 selects the 500 then select the
250 with MPF.

2.  This one is a little better.  You can't run MPFilters and WL
simultaneously because of contention for the com port.  So, from the WL
menu select Setup|Ports and deselect the com port assigned to the MkV.
Get out of there, run MPFilters, select the filter you want and close
MPFilters.  Now, from the WL menu, select Setup|Ports, select the com
port assigned to the MkV and, very important, select the MkV in the Rig
Type drop down list box.  Depending on your setup, you may have to do
stuff with Baud Rate, Poll, and Comm PTT.  I don't know what half these
things are - my setup shows, respectively, AUTO, check mark and YES.
I'm using 10.37G.  To reselect the other filter hit Nar2.  You will want
to determine which of the various ways of selecting a program to run
will be quickest for you.  (Start|Run|MPFilters or put a shortcut to
MPFilters into the taskbar or some other method?)

3.  I'm trying to automate #2.  No luck so far but I'm a persistent
SOB.  ("My gawd, will he ever shut up about this?  I'm tired of
listening to him.  When is he going to get a life?")  If I'm successful
I'll certainly share the technique with those interested.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO