[WriteLog] Wrong QTH

Frank Davis fdavis at nfld.net
Wed Jan 7 00:35:01 EST 2004

Dave:

For the record the political change that was made back in 2001 was to change
the official name of the Province of Newfoundland to the Province of
Newfoundland and Labrador.  Labrador has always been a  part of the province
of newfoundland and is governed by the provincial governent since way back
in early 1900's.  All that was done was to change the offcial name of the
province to reflect the hugh and distinct area of Labrador VO2.
Newfoundland is of course a very large island (pop about 480,000) whereas
the territory of Labrador (pop:30,000)  is very much larger geographically
than the island and is  on the mainland of Canada northeast of Quebec VE2
land.   This official name change initiated by our provincial govt and
approved by the Canadian Federal govt caused Canada Post in their extensive
and deep wisdom to change the postal abbreviation of the province to NL from
whatever it was before.  In some contests such as RU I wonder why there is a
separate multiplier for VO1( NF) and VO2 (LB) when the actual Canadian
Province is Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) !!   Maybe there is some
cinfusion with the rule makers for the contests.....to add to the confusion
Labrador is in the relatively rare Zone 2 whereas Newfoundland Island is in
Zone 05!!  The VO operator who was using NL in RU should not have been doing
so .....he should have been using LB if he was located in Labrador VO2 -
land.

Frank
VO1HP