[WriteLog] Re: Need help on SO2R CW on 2 COM ports

jims jims at psws.com
Sun Jan 11 00:47:53 EST 2004

I originally tried to use Writelog in an SO2R mode for SSB/CW without
using one of the commercial SO2R boxes. My goal was to make a traveling
compact SO2R setup with 2 rigs and a laptop with USB/RS232 dongles. I
asked Wayne about allowing the DTR line, on each COM port, to drive the
CW input on each radio. He replied that, at this time (Feb 2001) there
was not enough demand to make this change. Perhaps there is more demand
now.

I don't remember if the RTS line, on each COM port, tracks the WL active
radio  but I think it does. The RTS line is used to key the rig PTT. If
not, this would also be a desirable change.
The WL port setup currently uses a 'radio button' control. Since only
one CW button can be made active in port setup, this implies that all CW
for all radios goes to one com port. This configuration is what the
external SO2R commercial boxes expect. The A/B line (LPT port pin 14) is
then used to direct the PTT, CW, Audio to the active radio.

Changing the Port setup behavior to allow multiple CW selections may
cause some confusion. It would no longer be a 'Radio button'. Directing
DTR CW to the active radio would break the SO2R boxes if more then one
COM CW port was selected in setup. It might be possible to allow CW, for
either active radio, to always go to every COM port DTR that has it's CW
button selected.
The RTS line would allow only one PTT active at a time but the sidetone
keying in the non-active radio might be objectionable for SO2R. Its
probably best to only direct the DTR CW to the COM port of the active
radio if any changes to WL are made.

I gave up on my idea of SO2R without a commercial SO2R unit when Wayne
informed me of the lack of support for directing the CW via COM port
DTR.
Although the laptop Sound card can be used to direct the audio, I
decided not to route my microphone through my laptop (too much noise). I
also wanted simple hand control of headphone {A,B,BOTH} audio selection.
In the end, I added the Array Solutions SO2R box to my traveling kit
which solved all of these problems.

Jim W7EJ

> From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au at bellsouth.net>
> To: "WriteLog Reflector" <WriteLog at contesting.com>
> Date: Sat, Jan-10-2004 9:23 AM
> Subject: [WriteLog] Need help on SO2R CW on 2 COM ports
>
> I'm trying to run SO2R CW on one PC, keying CW from two separate COM
ports.

> I have one COM port keying CW on one radio and a separate COM port
> keying
CW on
> the 2nd radio.  They work separately if I select the COM port in
Setup-Ports.

> However, I'm only able to choose one CW COM port in Setup-Ports.  I've
glanced
> through WriteLog help and the K9JY site but can't find how to control
> one
CW COM