[WriteLog] Networking

Marty Tippin nw0l at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 09:06:30 EST 2004

The single best advice I can give with regards to networking and Writelog is to
NEVER try to mix operating systems -- get every box on the same OS (whatever it
is -- Win98, Win2k or XP) and your life will be a lot more pleasant.

I've spent more than a few hours trying to get Win98 and WinXP and Win2k to all
cooperate in WriteLog and have been largely unsuccessful. And I'm a
professional Windows programmer to boot so you'd think if it was "doable", I'd
be able to do it. (Of course, maybe I'm not a very good professional
programmer...)

While I'm certain it's never going to happen, all of this networking hooey
would go away if WriteLog would simply use straight TCP/IP for communication
between machines and between portions of WriteLog instead of relying on the
(very old, very outdated) NetworkDDE service to do the job.

-Marty NW0L