[WriteLog] Networking

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jan 28 18:43:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:06:30 -0800 (PST), Marty Tippin wrote:

>get every box on the same OS (whatever it
>is -- Win98, Win2k or XP) and your life will be a lot more pleasant.

Get serious! Changing operating systems on a computer that is used for
many things (and most computers are) is a huge task.  Microsoft would
have you believe that upgrading the OS on a machine is easy. Sometimes
it is, but I've had friends who are experts in computers (one worked
for Microsoft, one was a programmer) who blew a week doing it,  by the
time you fix and upgrade drivers/fix bugs for all of the various
software that has to run on a computer.

I have five computers in my home, two on NT4 SP6, and three on W2K. As
much as I would like to do so, there is no way I would upgrade the NT4
boxes to any other OS -- everything works!  And if I had a week to
spare, I wouldn't spend it on upgrading the OS on a computer that
works!

Jim Brown K9YC