[WriteLog] Stumped on IC-775DSP/IC-PW1 Radio Control

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 14 23:55:19 EDT 2004

Back in March when I first obtained this IC-775DSP & IC-PW1 combination, I sent
a post to the reflector wondering why radio control would not work when using
the IC-775DSP with the PW-1 with WriteLog.  I received responses from others
that this is just the way it was - it didn't work with WriteLog but worked with
other programs (such as DXbase).  If I disconnected the PW-1 from the CI-V
interface, radio control worked fine with the '775.

Since that time, the PW-1 went in for repair and now I have it back and I got
the same results.  Clicking on a packet spot or typing the frequency into the
Entry Window would not work when the PW-1 was connected to the CI-V interface.
However, this time I noticed when I tried to QSY with the combo that the bandmap
jumped to the frequency I was trying to go to and then immediately back to the
original frequency.  Nothing happened on the radio.

This got me to thinking that I see the same behavior when trying to QSY on my
Kenwood radios when the VFO was on B instead A.  Doesn't work.  Kenwood radios
have to be on the A VFO for it to work.

So for sh.ts and gr.ns, I put the IC-775 on the #2 VFO (or channel 2 as it's
called) and now radio control works fine when trying to QSY via clicking on the
bandmap, clicking in the packet spots window or typing the frequency into the
Entry Window.

This is a GRAND discovery for me, but I sure as hell would like to know why.

Any clues?

BTW, Randy KK7TV, did a great job on my PW-1.  It had more problems than what I
originally thought.  He spent countless hours on it but only charged me a fair
fee for the repair.  It works great now.  I highly recommend him.

73, Don AA5AU