[WriteLog] How to remove a contest module (DLL) ?

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 10 14:08:58 EDT 2004

Steve Woodruff wrote:
> Andrea,
> You can go into the windows registry and search
> for your CLSID you used (or the contest name) and
> then simply delete the keys.
>
> Just be careful not to delete anything else!  :)
--------------
While Steve's advice for the CLSID is valid, there are literally
hundreds of other keys which may be deleted without harm.

For example, if you're not using AT&T, MSN, Compuserve, AOL, or
Prodigy ( probably forgot one ) you can safely delete the keys. Now
let's assume you are not interested in playing games on your hamshack
computer. There are numerous keys in this category.

And programs such as Word Perfect, Word, Excel, and a host of others
are there. If you're not going to have such on the computer, get rid
of the keys.

You'll be surprised at how many you find. They're there "just in case
you want to install the application."

Very few programs which are installed, and then "supposedly" removed
from Control Panel are actually removed in their entirety. And
WriteLog is one of these. If you remove it,
you will find hundreds of registry keys still present, including every
single contest
WL supports.

And any of the Norton Utilities are "bears" to remove. In fact,
reviews of Systemworks 2004 are so bad I just bought a new copy of
2003. Complaints range to incorrect installation, failure to be able
to remove and reinstall, and others.

So, don't be that afraid of deleting unnecessary keys. You can always
make a backup of the registry before, and if worst comes to disaster,
simply replace it.

Although I now have dual 98 SE and XP on the shack machine, I have
removed literally hundreds of unnecessary keys.

73
Ed