[Writelog] RE: fullcallsign.wav voice-keying

Dave L Thompson k4jrb at juno.com
Thu Mar 18 16:46:41 EST 2004

Eric, K6VVA is correct.  There must be a way to use a combination of .wav
and DVK to produce a smooth
exchange on SSB.  Many of the contesters are getting older and if like me
allergies have taken their toll on the vocal chords.  Even if the vocal
chords are in great shape most will fail after 4 or 5 thousand QSOs in a
voice DX contest without the aid of a voice keyer.  So if a serious
contester does not want to remain a part timer or a single bander he or
she must find a serious voice processor machine.   I for one use a DVK
with
my call, a CQ, and a report.  I fill in the station worked and a serial
number if required.

I listen to the stations who use the current technology and I am like
Eric, its still too robotic.  Anything that can move SSB voicing forward
is looked at by the top SSB contesters.  Voice recognition may eventually
be the answer but its been around for years.  The PC is finally getting
to the point where voice recognition might move beyond a play toy.

The other serious consideration is transceivers usually have excellent
processors, communications quality voice range filters, and many
operators use the Heil HC-4 element that puts the audio on one narrow
range with little or no wasted power in splatter.  Most current sound
cards are way to wide (300 to 8,000 or more hz).  This must be overcome
by filters or building a sound card for just the normal voice (250 to
3000Hz).

But rest assured we are not there yet and that is the theme of Eric's
(and others) endeavors.

73 Dave K4JRB