[WriteLog] Re: DVK

WK2W at aol.com WK2W at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 13:12:51 EST 2004

After working with the .wav files for the recent contest as Mr. Frugoli (KE1FO) did, I found that they worked fairly well. It did take some time to record and edit them so they would fit together somewhat naturally but in the end the voice inflections can never be reproduced correctly for every possible combination used in a call.

There may be one way to improve on this method, however. If you listen carefully to the way someone announces a call during a contest, it always sounds the same in one regard - the last letter of the call always "sounds" as if it is the last letter. The freqencies spoken my the operator lower on the last syllable of the letter. (You need to say it out loud to yourself to understand it.)

What would be needed is two sets of A-Z .wav files. One set would be made as though there were another letter (or number) to follow. The other set would be spoken as though the letter was the last one in the call. Writelog would then need to play all the letters except for the last from the first set of files; then play the last letter form the second set of files.

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but what the heck, it's something to think about other than work.

Thanks,
Chris, WK2W

"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed.... oh, he already does!"