[WriteLog] UTC Clock

Art Searle W2NRA w2nra at birdsandbeacons.com
Sat Mar 27 08:26:16 EST 2004

> Maybe I am missing something, but what about the
Windows clock in the lower
> righthand corner of the screen? For accuracy, I
use AtomClock, which is
> shareware. I set it to NOAA before each contest.

First, how do you know that WriteLog is
interpreting UTC time correctly?  How do you know
that your computer will handle the change in
Daylight Savings time in 2 weeks?  How do you know
that the latest version you just downloaded
interprets UTC correctly for your time zone.  Why
not put UTC time in a little box on the bottom
right side of WriteLog near the contest name and
CW Speed?  The box could be the size of the CW
Speed box.  Would you all miss the space?  For
those that say set the computer to UTC, what if
you use the computer for other local time related
tasks as well?

Second, separate programs to check for computer
accuracy are no longer necessary with Windows XP.
It does this itself (if configured to do so).
Also I'm not concerned with computer clock
accuracy.  They don't vary much.  I am concerned
with a logging program that logs time that
determines the validity of a QSO not displaying
the UTC time prior to logging said QSO.  I have
not seen another logging or rig control or contest
program that doesn't display UTC time.

What is the big deal with a tiny 1/2 inch by 1/8
inch box in the status bar at the bottom of the
screen displaying the UTC time WriteLog will log?
I'm fulltime broadband internet access.  All I'd
have to do to check UTC time is click on :
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/d0clock.xbm
To check UTC time or
http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java
for a running UTC clock.