[WriteLog] Multi-op spotting questions

Mike Heideman mike_heideman at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:53:22 EST 2004

I've recently been part of several multi-op efforts using WriteLog including
this past weekend's CQWW SSB.  We use both the Bandmap and Packet Spots
windows, sending and receiving spots via a Telnet connection to a packet
cluster node.  All spots from the packet cluster appear both in the Bandmap
and the Packet Spots window, but any spots made from our dedicated spotting
station in the shack only show up in the Bandmap and never appear in the
Packet Spots window.

Is there a way of getting these spots to show up in the Packet Spots window
for the transmitting stations?  If not, then I'd propose a configuration
parameter that will migrate any call added to the Bandmap into the Packet
Spots window.  The problem with the Bandmap is that these spots are often
outside of the narrow window it shows (yes, we could expand it but that
causes other problems).  I finally started posting spots to the cluster
before we'd actually worked stations, forcing them into the Packet Spots
windows on the other stations.  This is OK for garden-variety DX, but I
don't want to cause a pile-up on a rare station that we'd have to break
through later.

During CQWW SSB we were using a 233 MHz Pentium with an FT847 as our
spotting station.  When I tried spotting stations to the cluster I
discovered that the last one to three letters of the call were frequently
cut off and I had to manually type them into the spot before sending it.
Occasionally I wouldn't see that this had happened and would hit Enter and
post a busted spot.

The procedure I use to send a spot is to type, for example, "ON4UN" followed
by Ctrl-T, followed by Enter to send the spot.  I don't hit Space or Tab
after the callsign once I recognize that the call is a dupe.  The entire
call is in the Call window, but what appears in the spot verification window
is something like "DX 28424.5 ON4U".  I don't remember this happening when
we used an FT1000MP with the same computer for spotting.  Has anyone else
seen this or know how to avoid the problem?  I'd rather not hit Space or Tab
since it shouldn't be necessary, but maybe that's related.

I also noticed that if I started to type a callsign immediately after moving
the VFO dial then the first character or two would often be missing in the
call window.  I'd see them displayed briefly, but they'd disappear, then the
remainder of the call would show up.  I'm a relatively fast typist (60-70
WPM) and rarely make typing mistakes so I am not used to checking that all
the characters I type actually show up where I expect them to be.  I
accidentally posted a spot for 3HIP, which should have been LU3HIP, because
of this character-dropping.

What seemed to be happening is that the computer was catching up to the
frequency information it was getting from the FT847 and somehow decided that
the first few characters I entered were from a different frequency and
should be cleared out first.  Is there a configuration parameter that will
prevent this for what appears to be a slow interface?

My final packet spot question...  Is there a way of removing Bandmap entries
and Packet Spots window entries from all computers on the network?  Because
of the dropped characters on our spotting station we ended up with a lot of
busted spots.  It is a big waste of time for the transmitting station
operators to click on one of these, tune around to see if the station is
there, and then have to remove the spots themselves.  This is also true of
busted spots that come from the packet cluster which the spotting operator
can identify as bogus.

I tried to find the answers to these questions in the manual, K9JY site,
reflector archive, and Google, but couldn't locate them.

73,
-Mike, N7MH