[WriteLog] Single key bandmap add

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 8 17:56:13 EST 2004

Thanks to Chad for pointing this out.

More specifically, add the following line somewhere under the [ENTRY] section of
the writelog.ini file:

MapCallOnSpace=1

To turn it off, replace 1 with a 0.

There are a couple of other handy entries that can also be added to the [ENTRY]
section of writelog.ini:

The first one is:  AutoClearOnTuneMinHz=200

The Entry Window will be cleared when you move your VFO 200 hz off the
frequency.  This is nice when you are S&P, copy a call that's a dupe, continue
on up or down the band and the CALL field clears automatically instead of having
to use ALT-W.

There is a down side.  If you make a QSO and forget to log it, you will lose the
information in the Entry Window when you tune off.  This has happened to me.
Luckily it's always been on RTTY and I was able to scroll the Rttyrite window
back to retrieve the information.  You can change how far you can tune off
before the Entry Window is cleared by varying the value after =.  I've found 200
hz to be a good number.

There is another feature which could be handy, but I don't use it.

AutoFillFromBandmapHz=200

This one auto-fills the CALL field of the Entry Window with a callsign on the
bandmap as you tune upon it.  It really freaked me out when it first happened to
me so I disabled it by replacing the number 200 with 0.  I left the entry there
in case I ever want to try it again.  With the value set at 200, if there is a
call on the bandmap, it will be brought into the CALL field automatically as you
come within 200 hz of the frequency where the call was spotted.

This may be OK for CW or SSB, but on RTTY some spot FSK, some spot AFSK, some
are using low tones,  some are using high tones, some are using LSB, some are
using USB and guys like W1ZT are using middle-of-the-road tones (sorry George,
just had to do it).  Packet spotting on RTTY is pretty much hit or miss so this
feature is probably not very useful.

73, Don