[WriteLog] WriteLog - How to set Bands? Explained

k6iii at juno.com k6iii at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 14:15:03 EST 2004

Right again, George, and YES your explanation does help.
(Also, see my reply to Eric on the WL Reflector - he gave me the real solution and it was obvious I had asked the wrong question!).

I to observed that in other contests (not SS) that I do see all the bands. I wondered why that was, but now I understand why that is the case (see Eric's explanation).

I also see the writelog.ini file entry for
[BandMap]
BandEdgeFile=0

I bet I could make up a Field Day example as you have done.

I expect that there are other readers on the WL Reflector who will benefit from your findings so I will CC this reply to the Reflector.

Thank you, again.
Jerry/k6iii
San Jose, CA
-- George Johnson <w1zt at comcast.net> wrote:
Hi Jerry,
I just reproduced what you are seeing.  My prior comments answer a
different question and you are seeing one of the anomalies I keep stumbling
into also.

 From my prior experience, you are seeing something unique to the SS
contest.  My setup shows the same thing.  We can enter a freq and cause the
WL program to DUPE on that "frequency" which, in SS, means ANY BAND.  It is
somewhat like the problem reported earlier (and after every SS) about the
packet window not showing specific bands.  They don't apply to SS so WL
behaves differently in SS.

If you try another contest, like CQWW CW, you will see the different bands
listed using the same procedure you noted.  That is because we dupe
separately on each of those bands.  It will not include the WARC bands
because those bands are not part of the contest.  You can also try the DXCC
Tracking as a "contest" and see that the band list now includes the WARC
bands.  These lists seem to be a function of the contest selected and this
is somewhat obscurely mentioned in the help file accessed from that same
window.

So you are correct, you can manually drive the log to a frequency but the
contest module frequency band list does not change or remember your entry.

For your other question on the subBands selection, that function seems to
only apply to the band map but I recall forcing entries (subBands) into
that band list when I was trying to get our Field Day logs to recognize 2m
CW and FM properly.  I ended up with an entry in my Writelog.ini file:

[BandMap]
BandEdgeFile=USA_FD.subBands

That file was one I made up in the Edit Sub Bands program to include CW on
2m and FM on 6m.  Those "bands" then appeared in the list you get with the
Bands / Show Bands list.

Hope this helps and I need to write this down in my FD stuff for next year
to make sure I remember it...
73, George .. W1ZT