[WriteLog] Re: WriteLog - How to set Bands? SOLUTION!

k6iii at juno.com k6iii at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 13:58:16 EST 2004

WOW... you are so right, Eric. I've been doing WL band changes all wrong all these years! (see my earlier posting, below)

It also appears that I have asked the wrong question - you figured that out. too! BRILLIANT!

YES, typing the khz freq in the Call Sign field does change bands for the subsequent logging. That's exactly what I wanted to do.

The Alt F1 & Alt F2 also works.

It didn't even occur to me that I might be screwing up the duping algorithm by doing the band changes the way I have been doing it. I can certainly see that could happen and that also explains why in SS I only see one sub-band (1800-29700). Make a lot of sense, now. THANKS!

The reason I don't have WL interfaced with the rig is, I've got a pretty old rig (IC-751a purchased in 1988) that does not support a full interface to the PC. I cannot get frequency read-out from the rig (only Band info). So eventually, I would probably want to upgrade to a modern radio with all this interface available.

Eric, I hope you can sense that I am truely delighted with this solution. Thank you so much.

Jerry/k6iii
San Jose, CA

-- "Eric Pearson" <epearson at prodigy.net> wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I don't think you need to mess with "Bands/Setup Bands"  nor
"Edit Subbands" which has a totally different function having
to do with the band map.

If you are operating without rig control there are three
different ways to set the frequency in writelog.  I think
you're pressing the Frequency button next to the Entry window
which brings up the "Logging/Duping Frequency for the current
Entry Window" screen where there is a list of bands to select.
Except in Sweepstakes there is only one band shown "1800-29700"
because for duping purposes there is only one band in
Sweepstakes - it doesn't matter what where you worked a
station they're still a dupe.

Rather than changing the band definitions and possibly screwing
up the dupe checking function I suggest you use one of the
other Frequency setting options:

Use Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 to cycle through the bands or

Type the frequency in kHz into the Callsign entry field and
hit enter.

I think these options are easier even in contests where
separate bands do show in the band list.  But the best solution
is to get rig control set up.  It makes contesting so much
easier and especially sending spots - writelog will fill in
the frequency for you, even adding the QSX frequency if you're
operating split.

Hope this helps.

73,
Eric - K6EP