[WriteLog] Problems recording on the fly and...

Mike Brown k9mi at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 12 05:54:20 EST 2004

Is anyone else having problems with recording on the fly? That has always
been how I've recorded my messages, and now it seems to work when it wants,
which isn't very often. I also get the "memory violation" error, plus maybe
one other error message. Also, when last checked, I was only getting one
tone in Rtty (using the MMTTY Plug-in) but MMTTY itself would play ok. I
thought maybe it was Service Pack 2, so I ditched it for a while. No
difference, so it's back on. I've tried different versions, and I think I'm
currently on 10.44 which did the best, but now it seems it's not the answer
either. The sound card is a Creative Labs PCI 128, and I have worked with
Chad and Scot since they have the same sound card, and they aren't having
the problems I am. My sound card scores a 7b, if that means anything to
anyone.

Here are some of the problems I have had when recording. Sometimes, I get
the "memory violation" error. Sometimes I'll record, and when I play the
message back, I hear the message, it keys the radio, but there is hardly any
output. I've had times where a message records, and plays back fine for a
few times. Then, I get this jet engine type sound, and the rig stays keyed
up at full power until the message plays out.

Please don't take this as a message ragging on WriteLog, because it's not.
I've got something set wrong somewhere, or maybe a different sound card
would cure my problems. I have no problems in buying a new sound card if it
would help, but then on the other hand, I would be a little discouraged if
it didn't. I've had voice problems since spring, and will really need the
dvk for SS. BTW, I have tried uninstalling the card then installing it again
with no gain.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. It's getting close to
crunch time (SS) and I really need to get this problem solved. I'll be at a
hamfest all weekend, and if a new sound card is what it takes, I'll be at a
good place to buy one.

Thanks...

73, Mike K9MI