[WriteLog] Heil proset plus ic and IC756 pro II

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Fri Nov 12 08:26:03 EST 2004

All Icom owners,

I have always had trouble with weak audio when I started routing my
microphone (Heil with hc4 dx element) through the sound board for writelog
to send to the proper radio. I have gotten by on my FT1000mp but it was
never satisfying on the IC756 Pro II. I even built a mike preamp which I
used for a while. But in switching computers I left it out.  Finally it
occured to me that when I was trying to break a dx pile up on voice I would
always try for a while on the IC756 Pro II and then revert over to the
FT1000mp (and usually get through then).

The new Heil Proset Plus IC headset has both an electret microphone for
Icom as well as the hc4 dx mic element with a tiny switch.

After checking the headset directly to the radio, I had enough audio to
fully drive the ALC level and the Compression to recommended levels - the
old mike would just budge the ALC with full mic gain.

So I made a adaptor cable from a mono extension cable with 1/8" mono
male/female connectors. Cut off the male end and replaced it with a stereo
plug to go into the sound board. Sound boards put a voltage (my new turtle
beach measures 4 volts, while the Icom puts 7 volts on the mic pin) on the
Ring while the mic input is on the Tip. I connected the adapter cable
center wire to the ring (to feed the voltage to the electret element) and
then put a 1 microfarad cap between Ring and Tip to feed the audio to the
sound board.

Works like a champ. I have plenty of audio with the sound board controls in
mid range instead of maxed out. I re-recorded all of my numbers, letters
plus some number of wave files to use for SS yesterday. Still have to trim
more off the letter wave files - callsigns are sounded out somewhat slow. I
left some leading and trailing silence but it is too much still. I am using
Goldwave to trim the sound files.

Try it, you will like it

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC