[WriteLog] Special Wish List Request

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Nov 15 03:04:05 EST 2004

I'm bringing up the 82 character limitation issue again in the CW/RTTY/SSB
Message area  dialog box again for (IMHO) several important reasons.

As the future will bring more unique uses of the expanded SSB message
handling, individual operator "refinements" and "tweaks" will necessitate
clever & creative use of varied-length "spacer" .wav files.  This will
substantially eliminate the many needs to re-record individual messages
and/or trim the files, because "adjustments" can be made with a stockpile
of spacers.

Some won't understand what I'm talking about so I'm already prepared for
flames, but that's OK ;-(

One exchange I need to program requires 161 characters.  Yes, I could
possibly trim it down a bit, but for all this recent new WL capability to
be most effective, having the ability to not have to resort to an separate
.wav file "lookup list" or "interpretation list" necessitates being able to
have a reasonable number of characters to ID the .wav files for fast
re-adjusting if desired or necessary.

Here is an example of why I am requesting further enhancements to the
incredible capabilities now in WL, which I believe will also be of benefit
to others (if not now, down the line):

%C<spc2.wav>%B<qsob4.wav><glom.wav>%B<psecopy.wav><num.wav><spc2.wav>%1<spc1
.wav><b.wav><spc3.wav><mycall.wav><spc2.wav><spc1.wav><myck.wav><spc1.wav><m
ysec.wav>

Trimmed down this still requires 136 character spaces, which won't work
with the 82 character limitation.

%C<sp2.wav>%B<b4.wav><gl.wav>%B<cpy.wav><nr.wav><sp2.wav>%1<sp1.wav><b.wav><
sp3.wav><me.wav><sp2.wav><sp1.wav><ck.wav><sp1.wav><sec.wav>

Tweakability:

<spc1.wav>, <spc2.wav>, <spc3.wav> can be varied-length spacers for
fine-tuning/smoothing and used as desired or needed based upon individual
op preference.  And when "Guest Ops" show up, these may be even more
valuable for adjustment purposes vs. consolidated .wav files.

The other issue tied to this (IMHO) is the current narrow width dialog box
which requires horizontal scrolling with the cursor keys to view "portions"
of a l-e--n---g----t-----h-------y programmed message grouping, instead of
as much of a wide "bird's eye view" as possible.

Tnx very much for considering this request.

73...

Rick, K6VVA