[WriteLog] RE: Recording a new message on-the-fly

Wayne Wright w5xd at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 25 00:08:03 EDT 2004

All,
Thanks for all the reports. I don't normally use my personal life for
excuses, but after being mentioned personally in this thread I find it
necessary to say that I have a day job (I manage a team of programmers
building software for oil industry) and that I have been traveling on
business for a week. WriteLog doesn't pay nearly well enough for me to quit
my day job and provide software support in real time.

Many seemed to have taken the conclusion that on-the-fly recording was
broken or purposely removed by the addition of SSB messages. Publishing such
unjustified conclusions on the reflector accomplishes only more discussion
about false information and takes no one in the direction of a fix, and I
for one gained no information about exactly what anyone was doing or
troubleshooting they had performed from reading that dicussion on the
reflector (did you actually get a WAV file on your disk? what was in it? how
did you program your message keys to try to play them back?). For the
benefit of anyone reading the reflector looking for accurate information:
the feature was not purposely removed.

Anyone interested in actually making the feature work can start by doing
"Tools Keyboard Shortcuts" and examine what SHIFT+F1 through SHIFT+F10 are
assigned to. The record-on-the-fly feature is bound to the "MessageShift02"
through "MessageShift11" binding. (No, that was not changed in 10.49. Yes,
those names are not mnemonic, but that is what they are and if you want this
feature to work, those are the names you have to use. They are what you get
when you install WL or click the "Reset Defaults" in Keyboard Shortcuts. Mea
culpa. They are named that way for "historical reasons" and can't easily be
changed without breaking people's INI files. This is not new in 10.49)

The next thing to be aware of is that when the MessageShift02 through
MessageShift11 functions are invoked (which by default is bound to the
keyboard on SHIFT+F2 through SHIFT+F11), WL's behavior depends on what mode
your rig is in. This is not a new behavior, it has been this way since about
version 8.0 when we added voice keying, and is documented in the help file.
If your rig is in a voice mode, it starts the recording. If your rig is in
CW mode or digital, those functions transmit a message. If you are not
connected to your rig, then WL uses the mode you have set with the "Radio"
button on the Entry window. You terminate the recording by pressing ESCAPE.
At this point, you should have a new .WAV file on your disk. It will be
located in the directory you set in WL under Setup Ports using the "Wave
File Locate" button. It will be named MSG2.WAV through MSG11.WAV.

Wayne