[WriteLog] [RTTY] Spratly Island - DXØK - 1S1A

ws7i ws7i at ewarg.org
Fri Feb 18 12:52:53 EST 2005

From: "Dave W7DPW" <w7dpw at comcast.net>
Date:  Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:29:15 -0800

During the Vietnam conflict in the early '70s,  I was stationed at the seaside village of Vung Tau, South Vietnam and I worked on the docks.
There was a group of Dxers (mostly from the US Embassy staff) ,
notably a W4, named Glen as I recall, who leased a small converted PT boat to make a trip to Spratly Island and hold a DXexpedition.  I was asked if I would like to go along. That was not do-able, but I did wish them good fortune and lots of QSOs.  A day or so after they departed the pier, they returned with a leaking boat. The boat had to be repaired and was laying at one of the docks for several days before it was SeaWorthy once again.  The group preceeded to Spratly and put 1S1A on the air.  I don't remember when they returned and don 't
remember much else.  I was too busy supporting the US efforts at this
small SeaPort.

If there is anyone from that time, let me hear from you..

I have always wondered about that.  Check this out.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/schina_sea_88.jpg

Rather hard to believe that they took a PT boat out over 400 Km to the spratleys and back in two days.  There are also a whole lot of small islands off of Vietnam that are closer.  Just like the trip  I saw of Romeo where they sailed out of Saigon, and went to the "Spratleys" I have always wondered.

The real Spratleys are at least 400 Km off of VietNam's coast. Maybe further.   Tho PT boats are fast :-)

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by F-Prot using Declude Anti-virus ]