[WriteLog] Upgrade install error

Gary Senesac AL9A al9a at pobox.mtaonline.net
Sat Jan 8 15:04:09 EST 2005

Had renew my registration code so I could get the V10.52F latest update.  Downloaded the full program zip file, not just the interim update, into C:\Program Files\ham\Programs and extracted the files.  When I ran Setup.exe to do the install, the installer suggested a path name of C:\Program Files\ham.  Thinking this wasn't the complete path I wanted, I used the Browse button to add the final "\Programs" folder to the path and ran the install.

The resulting installation created yet another Programs subdirectory as in C:\Program Files\ham\Programs\Programs and installed the new Writelog version there.  I deleted this second Programs folder and reran the install program, this time taking the default path suggested.  The program seemed to install ok, but I got an error message about the path name with the double Programs subfolders could not be found and the installation wasn't completed.

I rebooted and when I ran Writelog it asked for my new registration code.  It took it ok and the V10.52F program seems to run as expected.  However, I am unable to get the help screen to access from within Writelog.  If I go to the Writelog programs folder in Start and click I Writelog Help I get the error message again about the wrong path name.  I also notice some of the other Writelog icons are missing from the Writlog Start folder, such as Rttyrite, the Sound Recorder, etc.

Obviously there is a case of pilot error here.  Running Win98ME.  What is the best way to rectify the situation?  Should I uninstall Writelog and do the install again?  Should I try to edit something in the registry?  I hate that option as I'm pretty sure I would wake up Murphy and make a bad situation worse!  Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Gary AL9A