[WriteLog] Notebook vs. Desktop Computers for Contesting

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 16:43:44 EDT 2005

I've successfully used my laptop for contesting with no problem
whatsoever.  I used a simple PCMCIA to Serial Port adapter to add an
additional serial port.  I put rig control one one serial port and
keying on the other.  It worked fine and no, I don't have trouble with
windows screwing up my keying.  If I was really worried about bad
keying I would probably get one of those external keying boxes, but
I've found no need so far.  There are good reasons for using a laptop
for portable/mobile contesting.  In my case, I used the laptop because
I was operating from another ham's station and he doesn't have
WriteLog.  I don't see any issue with laptops vs. desktops.  I do tend
to prefer serial port keying to LPT, but that's a preference of mine
based on my desire to avoid loading 3rd party drivers capable of
accessing the LPT port.