[WriteLog] Notebook vs. Desktop Computers for Contesting

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Fri Jul 15 16:27:50 EDT 2005

(Re-Threaded)

Clive, GW3NJW, responded to N4GI's comment:

<< It would be great if someone could develop a simple USB thingy that was
<< capable of performing this task and rid me of my last LPT remnant.>

 > Face it people, USB and/or LPT port is just not the way to go for keying. XP
 > (et al) deny LPT functionality for verrrry good reasons ( a first for MS
 > btw!).It may work, it may not, but it's fraught with difficulty. You may not
 > wish to hear this, but serial ports are the only way to go. On desk tops the
 > problem is a cinch to address. On lap tops, erm no not really, but do ask
 > yourself why you are using a lap top, and isn't it more trouble  than it's
 > worth? There's a problem, you just gotta deal with it, life's a bitch
 > sometimes!

For those who also do CONTEST-Peditions, DX-Peditions & IOTA-Xpeditions,
hauling around a clunky desktop PC & external monitor would be a real
"female dog", IMHO :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA