[WriteLog] New Heil PC Mic (Pro Set Media Pro) For the Sound Card

Richard Thorne rmthorne at cox.net
Sat Jul 23 12:17:39 EDT 2005

Just an FYI to fello Writelog users.

I've been testing a new Heil headset called the Pro Set Media Pro.  Its
basically a Pro Set head set with the phase reverse switch with a mic
element designed specifically for use with a sound card.

In the past (and theres probably better solutions than this) I've used a
cheap pc mic to record my cq's ect via the sound card and then use my
pro head set for working the contest thats plugged into my rig.

With the new Media Pro I plug the mic into the mic input of my sound
card and the speaker out to my mic input of my rig. Now I can record
canned messages on the fly without the need for separate mic.  When I'm
not recording a message the audio is passed to my 1000mp Mark V here at
the house or to my remotel controlled TS-480 at my office (where my
decent antennas are located).

This mic provides excellent audio.  What got me started with this was
the need for a good mic for my remote controlled station.  I use a
program called Skype (http://www.skype.com) to get my audio back and
forth to my remote location via my pc sound card.  I also use Skype to
speak with my folks in South Texas.  My Dad asked me what I was doing
different as he had to turn his speaker volume down and I explained that
I was using a new mic.  As far as the remote and Skype go, unless I tell
the station on the other end I'm running a remote station they would
never know it.

So any ways I thought I would pass this on. Its not up on Bob's web site
yet but is suppose to be some time next week.  I have no interest in
Heil other than I'm a happy camper with his products.  He sent me this
new headset to test out as I was helping him with Skype and his remote
station.

73,

Rich Thorne
ARS: N5ZC