[WriteLog] Initial Setup

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 29 01:06:11 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Gates" <regates at kingwoodcable.com>
To: <writelog at contesting.com>
Cc: <k5dj at writelog.com>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 9:11 PM
Subject: [WriteLog] Initial Setup

>  Thanks to help from many of you, I got the
> serial interface cable to work by disabling my UPS.

I remember that. Excellent detective work by some sharp reflectorites.
You got lucky on that one.

 > I don't have a phone patch

I suspect you were supposed to hook up the sound card speaker output
to the phone patch input on your FT-1000. No phone patch required.

> so I went to the Writelog manual which said to connect
> between Aux Out on the sound card to the mike in on the rig.

Aux out on the sound card? What is that? You can connect speaker out
to the mic plug through a 100K resistor, but using the phone patch
input is better.

>Before I made that last hookup, I was able to use the Shift+F2 keys
>to record SSB messages,
> and when I hit the F2 key, the message played back over my desktop
> speakers.

You had it made at that point.

>mike still didn't work.

In SB recording controls, enable mic
In SB playback controls, enable mic, Wave
In Writelog/tools/sound board options, enable echo microphone
In Control panel, make sure SoundBlaster is your default sound card.

> Eventually, when I pressed the MOX button, the transmitter was
> keyed and the final amp collector current portion of the meter (IC)
> was showing
> something being transmitted at a low level, I know not what.

Use the monitor function on the ft-1000 to listen to what is going on.

> I delved into the documentation for the sound card and discovered
> the plug
> configurations:
>
>   Mono Microphone analog input via stereo jack

enable this in both recording and playback

>    Stereo headphone (32-ohm load) support on Line Out 1.

connect this to Phone Patch in on the 1000. Or, select 2 channel
stereo speakers, and use speaker out. Direct connection should be ok.
I think vox works with the 1000's patch input.

> My connections used a stereo cable for the Aux In, the standard Heil
> mono mike
> cable for Mike In, and a mono cable from Aux Out 2 to the Yaesu
> adapter for the
> Heil.  I later tried a stereo to mono adapter on the sound card for
> this
> connection.  No difference.

What's the aux in for, RTTY, or recording the entire contest?
On the Heil, cut off the mono plug. Put on a stereo plug. connect
center conductor to tip, shield to shell. You can always plug a stereo
plug into a mono female, but not always vice versa.

You are eventually going to get this all working, and then you will be
surprised at how well it works, and at how easy it should have been.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma,  AZ