[WriteLog] [RTTY] RTTY In CW Bands ?

Phil Krichbaum pfkski at vail.net
Sun Nov 13 09:46:18 EST 2005

	A few years ago a relative was asking me about what it took too get a
license as he had a mild interest. I told him about the VEs and question
pool etc. He asked if the exam pool questions delt with how to actually get
on the air and operate. I had to admit that it didn't but certainly should.
	In recent years I've noticed that when listening to field day SSB ops that
there is lots of CB lingo and generally clueless ops. In my opinion there is
a group of poor ops that have been tought by poor ops so we are at least in
the 2nd generation of this. Unfortunately due to CC&Rs many US hams are
unable to put up meaningful antennas to get on HF and FD is the only time of
the year they operate HF.
	I've traveled a bit and when talking to hams in other countries I find that
CC&Rs and similar things are pretty much strickly a US deal. Most people in
other countries feel that what ever you do on your property is your business
and you can pretty much do as you please. I visited a ham in The Netherlands
and he lived in a typical Dutch row house and his lot was about 25 ft wide.
He had a tower in the back yard that had been approved by the authorities.
Never were his neighbors asked if they had any comments or objections. It
was approved even though his HF beam antenna overhangs the neighbors
property on each side and a city park on the back. Ham HF activity (cw too)
is alive and well in other parts of the world. In last November's CQWW CW
contest there was a record number of logs submittted (4040) with conditions
well off the cycle peak.
	73 Phil N0KE