[WriteLog] [microHAM] WL and winkey

Wayne Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Tue Nov 29 22:19:43 EST 2005

>>What does WRITELOG say about the problem?

What I have to say about the problem is that:

1. The "solution" promoted by the Winkey support would make it impossible
for WL to do auto-CQ, dueling CQ's etc because WL can't tell when the
transmission ends without polling the Winkey device. And I would only be
able to provide such crippled support if I were willing to write special
code to support a crippled device--and I am not willing to spend my time
writing such code.

2. I am not interested in using 3rd party DLL's to support writing a COM
port. WL already has enough complicated logic dealing with COM ports--it
is already to the point where I would guess 30% of hams can't successfully
configure WL to run on their machine when it, in fact, is capable of
running, but the instructions are too complicated, the setup is too
complicated, there are too many special devices that want their own setup
to be set up a certain way, etc. etc. etc. I am not willing to go any
further down that road without cleaning it up.

Also note (if you are considering buying this) that the Winkey guys have
recently released new firmware for their USB router to deal with some
problems with doing rig control through their hardware. (This is after
having sent around some emails to users about how WL is broken and needs
to be fixed....). If you want to use their USB router and do rig control
and CW through it with WriteLog, then you'll definitely need to get that
firmware.

Wayne, W5XD

Wayne