[WriteLog] [microHAM] WL and winkey

Wayne Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Tue Nov 29 23:55:22 EST 2005

Well, I have to eat some crow here. After typing up the message attached
below, I went back and re-read the original K1EL documentation, the
complaints from the microHam people, and some individual comments from
users about what is going on, and I finally see what the "polling" problem
is. The "speed pot" problem and the "2/3 full" problem I am also looking
at by rereading the K1EL doc's, although I am not so sure what the problem
is--WL appears to me to comply with the K1EL docs.

The next update of WL will have some changes that will need some beta
testing... more later. and excuses below.

Wayne, W5XD

In my own defense, I must say that I actually bought and built a K1EL
keyer and I test WL with it, and "polling" it from WL is not a problem for
either WL or the Winkey chip when dedicated COM port hardware is used. But
after looking at all the detail again, I now see that if those trying to
convince me to fix WL had quoted something from the K1EL documentation
(like this line: "speed pot and status bytes can be unsolicited") rather
than vague, useless and preachy statements like this: "If the DLL were
used, WriteLog would not need to poll WinKey at all", then I would have
gotten to a solution more quickly.

The actual problem with "polling" now appears to me to be that WL sends
a "request status" command dozens of times per second to the WinKey. On
dedicated hardware, this causes no problem at all because the hardware has
nothing else to do and WL can easily and cheaply process the (redundant)
status bytes it gets in return, and the WinKey hardware queues it and
answers at its leisure--neither side is stressed. But on the microHam USB
hardware, this repeated status request is causing the USB router a
headache getting those (redundant) bytes through along with the other
stuff it is trying to do.