[WriteLog] Urgent Plea for HELP! Cable for Icom 756 Pro II

Dick Thompson w0raa at w0raa.com
Mon Dec 4 00:37:33 EST 2006

I hope I can get some help on this, guys.  I was down in Costa Rica last week for the CQWW CW contest and operated at TI5N.  Well, when I returned I mistakenly bought back a cable with me that belonged to Phil, N0KE.  It is an ICOM, CI-V Interface Cable.  It would cost about $75.00 to ship it to Costa Rica and no definite guarantee arrival by Thursday.

I have spoken with Phil and he said he can come up with a DB9 connector (female) and a 1/8" monaural plug for the other end.  He also said he can find the necessary wire.

What he needs is a very simple setup to plug the monaural plug into the back of his 756 Pro II and the DB9 into his computer.  He said that to buy the cable would cost about $100 or so.  He asked me to put out a request for help on the N1MM reflector as well as the WriteLog reflector to see if anybody can tell him what he needs (and what wire to solder where) to make a new cable before he heads back to TI5N for the ARRL 10 meter contest this weekend.  He said that N0VD made one up at PJ4 a few weeks ago in about 5 minutes for one of the radios used down there for the CQWW SSB contest.  He said that it can be very simple, but he needs to know what pins in the DB9 to solder to and what resistor or transistor he would need, as well as which wire goes to the tip of the monaural plug.  The other wire goes to ground, if I'm not mistaken.  I think it only requires 2 wires and a resistor and a transistor of some kind.

This is urgent, so I hope someone on the reflector can help us out here.  If you want to e-mail N0KE directly, he can be sent e-mail to vailphil at sopris.net and he can get it down there in Costa Rica.  Also, would you be so kind as to e-mail a copy at w0raa at w0raa.com?

Thanks.  Any assistance that you can give will be appreciated.  Phil is leaving the coastal village he is at right now, visiting a friend, on Friday early morning, and needs to have this info as quickly as possible.  Like tomorrow or Tuesday if possible.

Thanks guys.  Oh and thanks for the contacts to TI5N during the CQWW CW Contest.  I recognized a lot of calls from the reflector, when I was on the radio down there.

73,

Dick
W0RAA