[WriteLog] Dumb question # 8578

Gary Senesac AL9A al9a at pobox.mtaonline.net
Sun Jan 8 14:57:53 EST 2006

Sid,
Glad I'm not the only one who's confused.  I am an experienced contester,
just not from here.  Only been operating here two years and this is my first
attempt at a RTTY contest ever.  The consensus from others is AK is DX and I
should send a serial number.  So, I screwed that up!  But, as you say, I had
help from Newington.

The rules say:

4. Exchange:

4.1. United States: Signal report and State. (Last time I checked HI and AK
ARE STATES!)

4.2. Canada: Signal report and Province.

4.3. DX: Signal report and consecutive serial number, starting with 001.
(Last time I checked HI and AK are also DX on the DXCC list!)

How about this instead?

4. Exchange:

4.1. United States, except for KH6 and KL7: Signal report and State.

4.2. Canada: Signal report and Province.

4.3. DX, including KH6 and KL7: Signal report and consecutive serial number,
starting with 001.

Seems much clearer and unambiguous to me.  But what the heck do I know, I've
only got two college degrees!

Like wise, section 5.2 on Multipliers makes little sense when you think
about it.

5. Scoring:

5.1. QSO Points: Count one point for each completed QSO.

5.2. Multipliers: Each US state (except KH6 and KL7) plus the District of
Columbia (DC), Canadian provinces/territories: NB (VE1, 9), NS (VE1), QC
(VE2), ON (VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5), AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NWT (VE8), NF
(VO1), LB (VO2), NU (VYØ), YT (VY1), PEI (VY2) and each DXCC country. KH6
and KL7 count only as separate DXCC entities.

5.2.1. Count only once (not once per band).

5.2.2. The US and Canada do not count as DXCC entities.

What is the point of differentiating between US states (not including KH6
and KL7) and DX for multipliers?  Each multiplier, regardless, of whether it
is a US state or DX, counts only once.  It would be different if DX
multipliers had more value than a state multiplier, but they don't.  The
last sentence of 5.2 indicates that KH6 and KL7 won't count as a double
mult, as both state and DX.  This is the only thing in this section that
needs to be stated.  In my mind this still doesn't clear up the exchange
needed!  I will try to give you some backing and send my two cents in to
ARRL contest desk as well.  This ain't brain surgery and the confusion could
be easily cleared up!  Aloha.
Gary AL9A