[WriteLog] email back. docs. installer. etc.

Jim Rhodes k0xu at iowadsl.net
Fri Jul 7 09:08:12 EDT 2006

I guess I can see your point to some extent. But adding this type of
functionality would come at the price of using programming time to
write the code to create all the menus required. This would reduce
the amount of time available for true "updates" that add real
usefulness to the software. Maybe a better option would be to have
all the new ini options added to the existing ini file but in the
disabled state. But I have done very little programming in the
Windows environment and I sure couldn't guarantee that mucking around
with a working ini file wouldn't mess it up.

Maybe my feelings about this type of software are different from
others in the group. I may pay for the use of the programs, but at
the price I am paying I don't "own" it. Writelog is owned by Wayne
and who ever else works with him to create it. I can learn to adapt
to their "style" of programming. We are not dealing with Microsoft
here. They do not have unlimited staff to write all the pretty menus
that come with a package like the Office system. And if they did, we
wouldn't have a forum like this where we can suggest changes or
additions to the software that we get to use.

At 12:06 AM 7/7/2006, Charles Morrison wrote:

>The ini file options are of greatest concern to me.  Is it out of bounds to
>request a change in the thought process of having to edit the ini file to
>add functionality to the program?  We don't edit the ini file to state which
>com port the rig control is on and what type of rig it is in addition to a
>host of other settings.  Why is it that when new functionality is added, one
>must manually edit the ini file?  In the years I've been using the program,
>there's been numerous updates and additions, many welcomed, that required
>additions to the ini file.  How about instead adding these to a
>configuration screen inside the program?
>
>Its much easier to find functionality in the configuration options then it
>is to read the .ini file section of the help file to see whats newly added
>each time.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim at rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.