[WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)

Dale Jackaman dalej at reboot.bc.ca
Tue Jun 27 12:53:46 EDT 2006

On network set-up and Writelog.  I've not had good luck with fixed IP
addresses and no other settings.  One has to edit the hosts file on each
workstation and this can be tedious.  It is best, by far, to use a router
with DHCP enabled - especially in a mixed WinXP and Win2K environment. The
router doesn't have to have the WAN port connected to anything, just the
LAN and the wireless ports.  The router "sees" the workstations in the
process of delivering an IP address and handles inter-PC addressing and
communications accordingly.  Works well, and also addresses the issue of
guys bringing in their own PCs or laptops and not having to configure each
one by hand, not to mention having to also unconfigure after FD.   And, as
I've stated earlier, try to avoid cabled LANs in a high RFI environment.
Tried and tested with Writelog.

On the WAN side you can plug in another Linksys router in client mode and
go for hotspots. I use either a 2.4Ghz yagi or a dish and have picked out
hotspots from several miles away.  Direct line of site is a must at this
frequency so being on a hill is a plus.

Dale